KB User's Guide - General Info - Internal and External Live Sites
Live Site URLs
The URL for the external site look like this:
kb.wisc.edu/yourgroupsitenamehere/ , e.g. https://kb.wisc.edu/kbGuide/.
The URL for the internal site look like this:
kb.wisc.edu/yourgroupsitenamehere/internal/ , e.g. https://kb.wisc.edu/kbGuide/internal/.
Differences Between an External and Internal Site
The external site can be accessed by the public, specifically, anyone with access to the internet. Documents published to your external site will be indexed by search engines, like Google (though indexing can be disabled if desired).
The internal site can only be accessed by the following authorized individuals:
- Users who have added to the space with "internal KB" (iKB) permissions
- Users who meet the criteria for a group authorization rule
Users with valid campus credentials will also be able to authenticate to your internal site, though they will only have access to external documents and any that have been published with the Campus Access setting enabled.
An internal KB site will also include the following:
- A "Sign out" link in the upper right-hand corner.
- The following links in the footer:
- The user's fully qualitified username (e.g. email@example.com)
- Alink to the user's Favorites (more info about Favorite documents)
- A "Sign out" link
Changing the Appearance of the Live Site(s)
If you are an admin for your KB group space, there are a number of ways you can customize your internal and external sites to present different options to site visitors. Please see the below resources for more information:
- [Link for document 5787 is unavailable at this time]
- KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Menus
- KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Banner Alerts
- KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Site Footers
- KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Customizing Live Site Messages
- KB User's Guide - Settings Tab - Customize your site layout and appearance