Canvas - Manually Enrolling Students in SIS-Based Courses
In the University of Wisconsin System's Digital Learning Environment (DLE), each institution's Student Information System (SIS) controls enrollment for courses in the institution's main Instructional sub-account in Canvas. In some cases, such as collaborative programs between institutions, it may be necessary to manually enroll students in courses. To manually enroll students in a course in the SIS-based Instructional sub-account, a campus Canvas Administrator will need to create a section in a "Instructional Supplemental Courses" sub-account and cross-list the section into the course.
Create a Supplemental Course in CanvasA campus Canvas institution admin can create a supplemental course section for the course by following these steps:
- Log into Canvas.
- In the global navigation bar on the left, click Admin > your institution's sub-account
- Click Sub-Accounts in the Admin menu on the left.
- Click the name of the sub-account "[name of campus] - Instructional Supplemental Courses."
- Click the +Course button located near the top right of the screen.
- Name the course something that will identify it to you and others as the supplemental course such as [Course Name] Supplemental [term name, term year] and select the correct enrollment term for the course.
- Click Add Course.
Enroll the students in the supplemental section
Enroll students in the supplemental course following the instructions in the How do I add users to a course? guide.
If any of the manually-enrolled students are UW Madison students additional steps are necessary. See the Canvas: Setting Up Shared Student Enrollment with UW-Madison in the UW-System implementation guide.
TIP: Create an additional section in the supplemental course and enroll the instructor in it so they can later reference the supplemental course if necessary.
Crosslist the Supplemental Course
At the end of the term, the grades for students in the supplemental course section will have to be manually entered into the SIS.Once all of additional students have been enrolled in the supplemental course, crosslist the supplemental course section with the SIS-created instructional section following the instructions in the How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor? guide. Please note that once the supplemental course section is cross-listed, no additional students can be added.