Canvas: Setting Up Shared Student Enrollment with UW-Madison in the UW-System implementation
Some programs on the UW-System instance of Canvas may have enrollment that includes UW-Madison students in addition to a campus or institution already included in the UW-System Canvas implementation. Students from UW-Madison do not usually exist in the UW-System instance of Canvas, so they must be added.
Enrolling UW-Madison students in the UW-System instance of Canvas.
Create a Supplemental Course in Canvas
- The campus Canvas institution admin creates a supplemental course section for the course.
- Click Sub-Accounts found in the menu list on the left.
- Click the name of the sub-account "[name of campus] - Instructional Supplemental Courses."
- Click the +Course button located near the top right of the screen.
- Name the course something that will identify it to you and others as the course for UW-Madison students such as [Course Name] UW-Madison Students [term name, term year] and select the correct enrollment term for the course.
- Click Add Course.
- Click Update Course Details. The URL for the course will appear near the bottom of the page. Copy the URL by selecting the URL text and right-clicking to select copy.
- Paste this URL into an email and send it to either the course instructor or the students in the course.
Enroll UW-Madison students
- The UW-Madison students should follow the link and click the UW Employee/Faculty/Student button and select UW-Madison as their organization from the resulting drop-down menu. This will allow them to use the UWS instance.
- Once they've entered their UW-Madison credentials, they click Enroll in Course to complete the enrollment process.
Crosslist the Supplemental CourseOnce all of the UW-Madison students have enrolled themselves in the supplemental course, crosslist the supplemental course section with the SIS created instructional section. Please note that once the supplemental course section is cross-listed, no additional Madison students can be added.
At the end of the term, the grades will have to be manually entered into the UW-Madison SIS.