In February 2020, the Google Chrome browser will change how it handles 3rd party or "same-site" cookies. UW Digital Learning Environment Project leaders will coordinate efforts by campus field administrators to test external applications within the DLE for compatibility with these browser changes. This document outlines how campus field administrators can contribute to the testing.
[Update 04/06/2020: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Google has announced that it will be "Temporarily Rolling Back SameSite Cookie Changes
," until summer 2020. Campuses should continue to put pressure on 3rd party application vendors to resolve any same-site cookie issues, but this does buy some additional time.]
2) Go to chrome://flags/
3) Enable #same-site-by-default-cookies and #cookies-without-same-site-must-be-secure
4) Click Relaunch to restart your browser.
6) Open Google Chrome's Developer Tools (Ctrl+Shift+J, or Menu > More tools > Developer Tools).
7) Navigate to the Console tab of the Developer Tools.
8) Launch the external application and look in the developer tools Console to see if you can see an error message such as: "A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at [external application's URL] was set without the 'SameSite' attribute. It has been blocked" (see screenshot above).
10) If testing reveals problems with the external application's settings for 3rd party cookies, contact the vendor to discover their plan for resolving the issue. Record the results in the "Vendor Contacted/Aware" column of the spreadsheet.