Canvas - Feature Request Process
Canvas users at University of Wisconsin System institutions often have ideas for how to improve Canvas. Any user can submit a feature request to Instructure (the company behind Canvas) and participate in the company's priority-setting process for feature requests. Starting in February 2023, Instructure has a new process for Canvas feature requests called "Ideas and Themes."
Video: Ideas and Themes Process Update from Instructure Canvas Community.
Instructure uses the Ideas and Themes process to gather, group,and prioritize community-generated feature requests. The process follows six steps, explained briefly below:
- Idea Submission (daily) - any user can sign up with the Canvas Community and submit a new idea (feature request).
- Idea Review (weekly) - Instructure reviews ideas an seeks clarification if needed.
- Categorization (weekly) - Instructure groups ideas around common themes, as seen on the Canvas Ideas and Themes page.
- Voting (every 6 months) - during two voting windows per year, users vote on the themes they'd like to see Instructure work on.
- Selection of Prioritized Themes for Development (ongoing) - Instructure prioritizes the highest-voted themes and begins development
- Theme Delivered (delivered within 6 months of prioritization) - Instructure adds prioritized themes to its product roadmap and actively works on them. Instructure aims for a 6-7 month development cycle from prioritization to release.
For More Information
See Instructure's documentation: