Canvas (Discussions) - As a student, how do I upload files and embed them in a Canvas discussion?
This article discusses how students can upload files to their Canvas account to embed images directly into the Rich Content Editor of a Canvas discussion.
Before you begin
Embedding images in a Canvas discussion allows the image to display without having to download and open them like a file attachment.
Step one: Uploading the file to your Canvas account
An image file can be uploaded to your Canvas account directly from the discussion you need to post in.
- In the course, click Discussions.
- Click on the discussion that the image will be embedded into.
- Click Reply.
- In the Rich Content Editor, click the Embed Image button.
- In the pop-up box, click on the Canvas tab.
- Click on the My Files folder icon.
- Note: The Upload File button will not appear until My Files has been clicked.
- Click the yellow Upload File button.
- After clicking Upload File, select the image file from the file browser.
- The file will appear under the My Files folder icon.
Part two: Embedding the image into the discussion post
- Click on the file that was just uploaded to Canvas.
- Click Update to insert the image file into the discussion post.
- The image will appear in the Rich Content Editor box.
- Click Post Reply when you are ready to post.