MFA-Duo - Managing Multi-factor Authentication Device Settings
This document will provide instructions for managing device settings for Duo Multi-factor Authentication. The Multi-Factor Authentication Portal can be used to add and remove devices as well as manage default device settings.
Note: This document is intended for use after you have already registered at least 1 device (smartphone, tablet or token). If you have not yet registered a device, see MFA-Duo - How to Enroll for MFA Duo for your NetID Login Account
Accessing the Multi-Factor Authentication Portal
- To access the Multi-Factor Authentication Portal, navigate to www.mfa.wisc.edu log in with your NetID and password.
- Click on Manage MFA Preferences & Devices.
- You will be prompted to use MFA to authenticate at this point.
- You will now see the My Settings & Devices page which lists the devices that you have already registered for MFA.
- Clicking Device Options button next to the device presents a list of available options for the device.
- Reactivate Duo Mobile (Smartphone, Tablet): Allows you to complete the setup of Duo Mobile on a device if the app was uninstalled or you received a new smartphone or tablet.
- Change Device Name (Smartphone, Tablet): Allows you to change the name of the device.
- Red Trash Icon (Smartphone, Tablet, Token): Allows you to remove the device from your approved devices.
- Note: if you have only one MFA device registered, you will not see the Red Trash Icon.
Add Another Device (Recommended)
UW-Madison encourages users to add multiple devices in the event that they lose access to a single device.
To add another device, follow the instructions here: MFA-Duo - Adding Additional or Backup Devices.
Default Device Settings
- Default Device: Allows you to pick the default device that you log in with.
- When I log in Allows you to select the default authentication method. UW-Madison recommends you do NOT select 'Automatically send this device a Duo Push'. If you select to automatically send a push to this device, you will not have the opportunity to select 'remember me for 12 hours' during the initial login push.
More on default devices can be found here: MFA-Duo - Setting a Default Login Device