University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-08-26
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved September 3, 2013
August 26, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
1. Meeting commenced at 1:00 p.m.
2. Motion by Petty, second by Meyerand to approve minutes of the meeting of August 19, 2013. Unanimous.
3. The UC approved the charge to the Disabilities Accommodation Advisory Committee.
4. The University Committee was asked for clarification on FPP 5.20.C, which refers to an academic staff position totaling at least 20% of a full-time academic year appointment. The question was asked if, for an annual appointment, the minimum is 15%. The UC determined that because most governance occurs during the academic year, the requirement is 20% regardless of annual or academic year appointment.
5. The University Committee reviewed the proposed amendments to FP&P related to the course approval process and recommends that, per FPP 6.32.B.1, the Committee on Committees, rather than the divisional committees, appoints three committee members per division. Per FPP 6.08 and 6.32.B.2, the Committee on Committees would also appoint the committee chair.
Farrar Edwards arrived at 1:44 p.m.
6. Motion by Petty, second by Farrar-Edwards to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters.
7. The committee reconvened in open session at 2:05 p.m.
8. The University Committee welcomed Chancellor Blank. The chancellor and the UC discussed priorities.
9. Motion by Farrar-Edwards, second by Petty to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
10. The committee reconvened in open session at 3:30.
11. The UC received a brief on faculty bullying from De-Ann Pillers for the Committee on Women in the University and will consider this information when working with the Ad Hoc Committee on Civility in the Academic Workplace.
12. The UC met with Kent Weigel of CURAFA. The UC will create a charge for CURAFA based on the characteristics outlined in the CURAFA ideal class report presented to the Faculty Senate in May. The UC will invite Adele Brumfeld, Steve Hahn, and Kent Weigel to provide input before finalizing the charge.
13. Motion by Cook, second by Farrar Edwards to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
14. The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty.