University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-11-17
approved November 24, 2014
November 17, 2014
Present: Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 12:31 PM.
2. Minutes of the meeting of November 10, 2014, approved.
3. Search and screen updates: purchasing director, SOE dean, SOF staffing.
4. Workload scenarios update.
5. Petty moved and Edwards 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed at 12:45 PM.
6. Grant Petty nominated for PROFS president. Seconded. Approved unanimously.
7. Tenure Clock Extensions: 3 cases presented, moved for approval, seconded, approved.
8. Meyerand moved and Wendt 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed at 1:27 PM.
9. Updates on working groups: parental leave, 360 reviews, IRB.
10. UW System revisions to UWS chapters 4 and 7 (Ray Taffora): Rescheduled.
11. Michael Bernard-Donals distributed and discussed a handout on promotional base increases. UC approved unanimously and proposal will now go to Tim Norris.
12. Michael Bernard-Donals reviewed formulas and history/background on compression equity, along with report on results of all pay tools over last several years. Compression equity is the one area where little progress has been made, although situation would have been worse without compression exercise. General agreement in colleges (with one exception) that another exercise should be conducted using same match formula, but allowing schools and colleges flexibility on choosing who qualifies.
13. UC and Bernard-Donals discussed lack of standard campus process for promotion to full professor.
14. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf)
a. Provost requested nominations for search for SOE dean as soon as possible.
b. Discussion of unclassified titles and lack of clarity around instruction titles.
c. Discussion of converting ad hoc committee on bullying into shared governance.
15. Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education update (Marsha Mailick)
a. UC and Mailick reviewed proposed changes to FPP. Changes to Chapter 3 will be addressed at next Faculty Senate; Chapter 6 changes will wait for inaugural URC.
16. Petty moved and Edwards 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 3:10 PM.
17. Discussion of URC composition.
18. Meyerand moved and Edwards 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 3:31 PM.
19. Disability Accommodation Advisory Committee report (Ivy Corfis and Barb Lanser)
a. Review and discussion of process and issues which led to report and revised policy. (and additional information.pdf)
b. Following items placed on December Faculty Senate agenda: (1) annual report, (2) revised policy, (3) FPP changes.
20. Meeting adjourned at 4:35 PM.