Extended Incomplete (EI) Requests in L&S

This section explains when it is appropriate for an instructor to authorize an extended incomplete for L&S undergraduate students.

Is it possible to obtain an Extended Incomplete (EI) if I need more time to finish up the work for my incomplete?

It is up to an instructor to determine whether or not a student's circumstances qualifies them for an Extended Incomplete (EI).  If a student does qualify for an Extended Incomplete, the instructor will need to submit a grade change via the non-roster grade change eForm.  (Please note that the eForm has replaced the paper/PDF Grade Change Request Form.) The eForm will allow faculty and instructors to submit an EI grade change electronically.   Step-by-step instructions, screen shots, and a direct link to the form can be found in the Non-Roster Grade Change KnowledgeBased document.   
  • Please note that the non-roster grade change eForm should be used only for the following reasons:
    • A grade change from an incomplete grade (I) to an Extended Incomplete (EI);
    • A student is not on the grade roster in the Faculty Center (e.g., late enrollment in the course, etc.);
    • Department needs to submit a grade change in place of the instructor of record (in case the instructor is unable to submit a grade change since they have left the university or other legitimate reasons(s) only).  
  • All other grade changes must be done electronically through the grade rosters on the instructor's Faculty Center.  
Once an instructor submits the eForm, the EI grade change request will be routed directly to the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services worklist for approval.
  • If a student is granted an Extended Incomplete (EI), the student must complete and submit the remaining work prior to the end of the semester so that the final grade can be submitted and processed on the last day of the classes. 
    • Students should complete the work for their incomplete at least a couple of weeks before the last day of classes so the instructor has enough time to review the work and submit a final grade by the last day of classes.
  • If the grade for the Extended Incomplete (EI) is not submitted for processing by the last day of classes, the Extended Incomplete will lapse to a grade of "F". 
  • Students cannot get multiple semesters/terms of Extended Incomplete for the same course in order to give a student several semesters/terms (two or more semesters/terms) to complete one class.
Contact the L&S Academic Dean's Office with further questions: 
Phone: (608) 262-0617
Email: lsdeans@saa.ls.wisc.edu

See Also:

Keywords:incomplete, extended incomplete, EI, I, deadline, Grade Change Form, eForm, non-roster grade change eform, non-roster grade change, grade change form, paper grade change form, grade change, grade changes   Doc ID:21332
Owner:Tori R.Group:L&S KB
Created:2011-11-17 22:24 CDTUpdated:2022-03-28 15:35 CDT
Sites:L&S KB
Feedback:  0   1