Propose changes to L&S program requirements (Major, Named Option, Certificate, Graduate Minor)
Departments may need to revise their program requirements for a variety of reasons, including (but not limited to): to realign requirements with current trends in the the discipline, to reflect the current course array and current faculty expertise, to address findings in assessment or program review, or simply to add or remove courses from lists that can meet requirements.
Changes to requirements may be proposed by faculty committees who are responsible for oversight for those academic programs (or the staff who work with them). Changes to program requirements must be approved by:
- appropriate faculty committees in the department/program
- L&S Curriculum Committee
- possibly the L&S Academic Planning Council, Graduate School or University Academic Planning Council review, depending on the nature of the changes.
How to request changes to program requirements
- Use Lumen Programs to request curricular changes to programs
- See also:L&S Deadlines for Course and Program Changes
L&S Review process:
- Undergraduate programs: Minors Changes (addition or deletion of courses from course lists; clarifications and corrections) typically don't require L&S Curriculum Committee review and receive expedited L&S approval.
- Undergraduate programs: Substantial Changes are reviewed by the L&S Curriculum Committee. (Examples include: increasing of decreasing the number of credits or GPA earned in certain courses prior to admission to the major; Course changes that may affect the flow of resources between departments; Increasing or decreasing the number of credits in the major; adding a new requirement, substantive changes to learning outcomes.)
- Graduate programs: The review process depends on the nature of the changes. Substantive changes are reviewed by the L&S Curriculum Committee and/or Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC). Minor changes will receive expedited L&S and Graduate School approval.
The review process is not to judge the content of the curriculum, but rather, to ensure that:
- Revisions are consistent with L&S degree requirements, and the Graduate School (when applicable)
- Revisions are implemented according to campus policy and practice
- Changes that affect other departments are communicated to those departments; and
- All interested, motivated and capable students can successfully complete the requirements.
Implementation of Changes
Substantial changes to programs are only approved for Fall semesters. Assuming program changes have been submitted by deadlines published here: L&S Deadlines for Course and Program Changes, approved changes will be published in Guide with the effective date added to the Lumen Programs proposal.
Undergraduate Programs: DARS. It will be updated as part of the Lumen Programs proposal workflow. Changes will be effective for the effective date in the approved Lumen Programs proposal form.
For more information about program requirements changes, please contact Kim Grocholski at email@example.com
NOTE: Information on this page is for program changes only. See L&S Academic Planning: New Majors, Certificates, and Formally Transcripted Options for information about new academic programs.