UW-Madison Google Workspace - UW-Madison Google Workspace Accounts vs. Personal Google Accounts
This document provides an overview of the differences between a personal Google account and a UW-Madison Google Workspace account.
- What is a UW-Madison Google Workspace account?
- How does a personal Google account differ from a UW-Madison Google Workspace account?
- How can I tell which account I am logged into?
- How can I keep my personal Google account separate from my UW-Madison Google Workspace account?
A UW-Madison Google Workspace account is a free Google account that provides access to applications such as:
- Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Groups
- and more.
Eligible UW-Madison faculty, staff, students, and recent alumni have access to this service for free.
Additional features include:
- Unlimited storage
- Additional protection for intellectual property
- Access to Google Drive File Stream
- No ads
- Ability to create a Shared drive
- Technical support for core apps is available through the DoIT Help Desk
- Credentials are not stored in Google services
- Assigned a Google Workspace for Education license
- Covered by UW-Madison Google Workspace Terms of Service
- and more.
Please note, the availability of applications and features is subject to change without notice.
Some differences for individuals using a personal Google account include:
- 15 GB of free storage, need to pay for more storage.
- Cannot create a Shared drive.
- Data is not protected by the UW-Madison Google Workspace Terms of Service.
- Difficult to receive technical support from Google.
- UW-Madison cannot assure users where their data is stored.
- Users will be subject to the jurisdiction in the courts of California in any legal proceedings.
- Representation by UW-Madison Legal Services cannot be assumed.
Below are quick tips on how to recognize which account you're logged into.
|Distinguishing feature||Personal Google account (@gmail.com)||UW-Madison Google Workspace account (@wisc.edu)|
|Logo||No UW-Madison logo
|Storage quota||15 GB storage limit
||At this time, there is no storage limit
|Shared drive option||The New button is grayed out and unavailable when Shared drive is selected.
||The New button is available to create new Shared drives.
|Priority feature option||Priority feature is not listed
||Priority feature is listed|
Below are quick tips on how to keep your personal Google account separate from your UW-Madison Google Workspace account.
- (Highly recommend) Create separate browser profiles using Google Chrome.
- Learn how to keep your Chrome information separate.
No, do not add another Google account. Yes, create a separate Chrome profile.
- Use separate browsers for each account.
- For example, you can use FireFox for your personal Google account and Google Chrome for your UW-Madison Google Workspace account.
- Assign a different photo for each account.
- Learn how to add or change your profile picture.