UW-Madison Box - Recommended Browsers and Operating Systems
This document outlines the browser requirements for accessing UW-Madison Box.
Box officially discontinued support for Internet Explorer 9 and 10 on September 26, 2016. Beginning May 1, 2017, these browsers will be blocked from accessing Box.
Support is being discontinued by Box because Microsoft will cease releasing updates for these browsers after the respective dates above. If you are currently using IE 9 or 10, please upgrade your browser to IE 11, or use an alternative browser to access Box after September 26, 2016.
In general, Box supports the current and prior major releases of the following web browsers and desktop/mobile Operating System (OS) versions on a rolling basis.
The following browsers are fully supported for use with Box:
Chrome - The two latest, released versions.
- Box Tools v3 is not supported in Chrome v66+. Please update to Box Tools v4 to continue using Box Tools (Box Edit and Device Trust) in Chrome v66+.
Firefox - The two latest, released versions.
- Firefox versions more than two major versions old, including ESR (Extended Support Release) versions, are not supported
Safari - The two latest, released versions on macOS.
Microsoft Edge - Box Tools (Box Edit and Device Trust) is not currently supported on Microsoft Edge.
Internet Explorer (IE) - IE 11
- Note: Older versions of Internet Explorer are strictly unsupported and will be blocked from accessing Box.
The following operating systems are fully supported for use with Box:
Desktop: Windows 7, 8, and 10, and the two latest versions of OS X.
- Box Sync does not support NTFS data deduplication, even if it is enabled in Windows.
- Box Drive is not supported in Windows 8.
- Support for Windows XP and Vista ended on October 31, 2014.
Mobile: The two latest versions of iOS and Android. Box also supports versions of Android released in the last three years.
Your browser must be configured to accept cookies in order to access Box. For more information on managing cookies as well as links to instructions for enabling them on individual browsers, see: Web Browsers - Cookies FAQ.
Additional information on Box software requirements can be found here: Understand the Box Policy For Browser and OS Support