Topics Map > Canvas
Topics Map > Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (Recordings) - Downloading Individual Recordings
This guide describes how instructors in University of Wisconsin System (including Madison) Canvas courses can download copies of Blackboard Collaborate Ultra recordings that they have made.
Not every recording owner needs to do this. Most new Collaborate Ultra recordings made through Canvas will be automatically coped to Kaltura and then deleted from Blackboard's servers after a retention period. See UW System's media management process for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra recordings for more information.
The most common use cases for an instructor to download their own Blackboard Collaborate Ultra recording would be if they wanted to edit the recording, if the recording fell outside the scope of UW System's media management process, or if they wanted to upload the recording to a video hosting service other than Kaltura.
Downloading a Recording
1) Log in to Canvas, go to Courses or Dashboard, and navigate to the course that the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra recording was made in.
2) In the course navigation on the left, go to Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
3) At the top left of the Collaborate Ultra Sessions screen, open the dropdown menu, then click Recordings.
4) On the Recordings screen, click the Recording Options (...) dropdown to the right of the recording details then click Download.
5) A .mp4 copy of the recording with the name collab-recording.mp4 will download to the user's computer. It will usually appear a popup at the bottom of the user's browser and in the user's default Downloads folder.
6) The user can then upload the video to Kaltura or they can open, copy, or edit it as they would any other locally-stored video file.