July 2021 Canvas Release Notes
Posted: 08:51:10, Thursday, Jul 15, 2021 Expiration: 08:51:10, Thursday, Jul 22, 2021
The University of Wisconsin System instance of Canvas held a meeting on May 17, 2021, to review upcoming features in Canvas. New features in Canvas available after July 17, 2021:
- External Tools (LTI) – SCORM Launch Links Enforcement: Signed launch links will be integrated into SCORM content. This change ensures that all SCORM content will be encrypted, meaning that only users enrolled in the course where the SCORM content was uploaded will be given access. Impacted campuses have already been reached out to.
- Notifications – SMS Notifications End of Life: SMS Notifications for Announcements and Grading have been removed from Canvas. Additionally, the SMS column has been removed from the Notifications page. This should have no impact, as SMS notifications had previously been disabled for our instance.
- Rich Content Editor – Classic Rich Content Editor End of Life: The Classic Rich Content Editor is no longer supported in Canvas. Any institution that had turned off the New RCE feature option must use the New Rich Content Editor, which was originally turned on for all institutions in the 2021-01-16 Canvas release. This should have no impact, as the new Rich Content Editor has already been enabled at each campus.
- Browser - TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Legacy Endpoints End of Life: TLS Protocols 1.0 and 1.1 Legacy Endpoints are no longer supported in Canvas. Institutions must update to TLS 1.2. This change ensures all customers are using the highest encryption protocols to protect user interactions with Canvas. TLS 1.0 and 1.1 protocols support usage of ciphers that do not meet modern security standards. Users who rely on browsers to interact with Canvas and have updated their TLS protocols to direct to legacy endpoints must update their TLS protocol to 1.2. Background regarding these changes can be found in Deprecating TLS 1.0 & 1.1.
- Canvas - Maintenance: Instructure has moved their intermittent maintenance to twice monthly scheduled maintenance windows. Moving forward, maintenance will be performed on the first and third Thursdays of each month, beginning at 1:00am, and running no later than 3:00am. Canvas may be unavailable to users during these windows. UW-System has been reassured that these maintenance windows will not prevent SIS integration, and at worst, SIS data update will kick off as soon as the maintenance window closes. All users are able to view maintenance window times through Account then Settings. For additional information, please refer to the Canvas Community discussion.
-- UWSA DLE: Shane Degen
Created: 08:53:32, Thursday, Jul 15, 2021 (by Shane D.)
Updated: 08:53:32, Thursday, Jul 15, 2021 (by Shane D.)