MFA-Duo - What do I do if I am transferring or leaving UW-Madison? (Employee)

This document describes what you should do when transferring or leaving employment at UW-Madison specific to MFA-Duo devices that you have.

During the roll-out phase through mid-Spring of 2019, if you are transferring to a division or department that has not yet implemented MFA-Duo please retain your MFA-Duo device(s) as you will eventually be required to use them when your new division / department is onboarded.

If you have not personally been required to use MFA-Duo with your NetID and are transferring to a division / department that uses MFA-Duo, please click here to get started in registering your device.

When transferring to another division or department within UW-Madison that also uses MFA-Duo you can continue to use the same device(s) without interruption of service.

Smart device users can continue to use their existing MFA-Duo configuration to access UW-Madison resources but would want to add their new campus Duo service in the Duo application.

Token/fob users would need an additional token from their new campus as any individual token can only be active in one Duo service.

Owing to delays in entry or periods where you may be remaining active before termination (sabbatical, vacation, etc) you may continue to be associated with your former UDDS.

As a result you will want to continue to retain your smart device app and/or keyfob in order to authenticate to Duo if required when accessing former employee resources (such as your W2, benefit information, etc).

Once you stop being prompted regularly for Duo, it is safe to uninstall the Duo application from your smart phone unless you use it at other institutions or to recycle your key fob.

City of Madison drop-off electronics/key fob recycling locations:

  • 1501 W Badger Rd, Madison, WI 53713
  • 4602 Sycamore Ave, Madison, WI 53704

For hours of operation and additional locations, please check: City Of Madison - Drop-off Sites

Once your Human Resources department updates your affiliation status to indicate that your employment has been terminated, you will no longer be able to access your employee information in HRS. To do so please regard the next section in this document labelled "Accessing Earning, Leave, Tax, and Benefit Statements after Leaving UW / Retiring".

Why am I losing access?

Your affiliation with the university determines your access to many campus services. When your Human Resources department updates your affiliation status to indicate that your employment has been terminated, you will no longer be able to access your employee information in HRS. 

If you believe you have lost access or been directed to this page in error, please contact your Human Resources to confirm your employment status has been correctly entered. If further assistance is needed after consulting with your HR representative, please contact UW-Shared Services

When will I lose access?


You will lose access to Human Resource Services on your role's appointment end date. This includes earning, leave, tax, and benefit statements.


You will lose access to MyUW 24 months after your appointment end date. 

Other Services

For deactivation information for other common UW Madison services, please see Leaving the University of Wisconsin Madison.

What should I do to access my HRS information?

For support accessing your HRS information or to update your mailing address, please contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Support at or (608)262-0600. 

To request copies of employment-related documents:



Earning Statements Copies of your earning statements are available from your former Payroll office or via email at
Leave Statements Copies of your leave statements are available from your former Payroll office.
Tax Statements (e.g. W-2) Duplicate statements can be obtained through the UW System Duplicate Statement Request form.
Benefit Statements Duplicate statements can be obtained by contacting (608)262-5650 or emailing

If your mailing address has changed since your employment at UW Madison, please update your address by contacting prior to requesting any documents.

See accessibility & usability information

We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.

For questions regarding how to get access to the MFA mobile app contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email

How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob 


Students, to obtain a token/fob, please contact the DoIT Help Desk (608) 264-4357 or email Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53715 on the 2nd floor.

Faculty, Staff, and Researchers

Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email 

Keywords:transferring leaving employment termination quit depart multi-factor retire retiree multifactor authentication token fob transfer job change leave retiring terminating departing exiting   Doc ID:86237
Owner:Naomi S.Group:Identity and Access Management
Created:2018-10-04 13:08 CSTUpdated:2021-05-14 09:59 CST
Sites:DoIT Help Desk, Identity and Access Management
Feedback:  0   0