Kaltura/Canvas - Known Issue - "Browser Cookies Issue" message - Enabling third party cookies
When accessing Kaltura media in Canvas the following message is presented when viewing course materials with Safari and some other browsers: "Browser Cookies Issue" or "Access Denied".
A screenshot of the error message when viewing Canvas course material with an embedded Kaltura video in specific browsers:
This issue affects:
- Safari (Desktop - macOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Safari (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Chrome (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
- Firefox (Mobile - iOS) - Affects media embedded via Canvas's Kaltura integration, or Kaltura video quiz Assignments.
As of 3/26/2020 this issue is still present.
the workarounds below if you are using one of the browsers this
error generally manifests in:
Option 1 - Use Chrome or Firefox on Windows or macOS
- For macOS Safari users, use a recommended browser like Chrome or Firefox.
- For iOS Safari users use the Canvas Student app which does launch embedded Kaltura media in a new window but works. The Canvas App with Kaltura video quiz Canvas assignments requires the student to click on the Submission tab of the Canvas assignment and click Launch External Tool to view the Kaltura video quiz.
Option 2 - Enable third-party cookies in your web browser
Users may wish to enable third-party cookies in their browser to view
Kaltura content embedded in Canvas. This is because Kaltura needs to
communicate with Canvas to verify who you are. Follow the instructions
for your browser:
Option 3 - Follow the error message instructions
Follow the directions in the message to click or tap on the link
provided to open a new window or tab to Kaltura. Then tap the yellow got it message at the top right to accept the cookie. This will load a
Kaltura cookie. You can then close the new tab or window and reload the
page with your Canvas course material with embedded Kaltura media
content. This workaround does not work for all affected browser
versions - for example more recent versions of Safari.
If you have trouble with these workarounds users can contact the DoIT Help Desk for assistance.