Office 365 - Request owner access to an Office 365 Group/Teams
There may be times when an Office 365 Group needs to add/replace an owner but the current owner(s) are no longer available.
Anyone can create an Office 365 Group. By default, the creator of the group is also the owner. In addition, other members of the group can be assigned owner privileges by other owners of the group.
Find owner(s) of a Group/Team
- Log into Outlook on the web.
- Click the Contact/People icon, , located at the left hand side of your Outlook view.
- Using the search feature located at the top of your screen, search for the Group by entering the name or address of it.
- Within the search results, select the Group. Important: The object will be labelled as a Group and the address of the group will end in "@office365.wisc.edu".
- The Group properties will be shown. Click the Members icon.
If any member is listed as an 'Owner', you can contact them to make the necessary changes. Otherwise, if no owner(s) exist or the existing owner(s) are no longer affiliated with the university, please follow steps outlined in the 'Request owner access to a Group/Team' section below.
Request owner access to a Group/Team
- Email Office 365 Document and Support Team the following group information:
- Name of the Group/Team - Email address (email@example.com) of the Group/Team
- Your email address
- How are you affiliated with the group
- Why are you requesting ownership
- Dean/director contact in case we need to followup
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Office 365 request - owner access to a group (72476)
- Body: include all the information listed above