Security - Available Antivirus Software for Personally Owned Devices
This document provides recommendations on what antivirus software to download on personally owned devices.
Freely Available Software for Personally Owned Devices
Note: This software is not supported by DoIT, for support, please contact the manufacturer.
Note: This software is freely available for personally owned devices, but is not free for devices owned by the university. Please only install the applications in this article on personally owned devices.
Note: This software can also be downloaded on http://ninite.com if you are using a PC.
- Windows Defender / Windows Security Essentials
- This is antivirus software that is pre-installed on all versions of Windows 7 and up. This software automatically turns itself off when it detects another antivirus software on your computer and turns on when it detects no other antivirus software.
- General information about Avast
- PC download: https://www.avast.com/en-us/index
- Mac download: https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-mac-security
- PC download: https://www.avira.com/
- Mac download: http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-mac
- Clam AV
- Linux download: https://www.clamav.net/downloads
Note: This is software that is available for purchase online and in retail stores, this software is NOT supported by DoIT, please contact the manufacturer for support
- Eset Nod32
- Norton Antivirus
- Kaspersky Antivirus
- Note: Kaspersky Lab products have been banned from state-issued devices as of a 2023 Wisconsin Executive Order. This does not affect personally owned computers but should be considered when working from home with your own computer.
- PC & Mac: http://usa.kaspersky.com/