University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-08-19
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved August 26, 2013
August 19, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Fair, Farrar-Edwards, Meyerand (by phone), Petty
1. The meeting commenced at 1:00 p.m.
2. Motion by Farrar-Edwards, second by Petty to approve minutes of the meeting of August 12, 2013. Unanimous.
3. The University Committee supports the letter from ASEC to Lori Berquam, Vice Provost for Student Life and Dean of Students, and Sarah Van Orman, Executive Director of University Health Services, that outlines concerns related to the alcohol training for incoming students.
4. The UC approved charges to the Ad Hoc Faculty Committee on Civility in the Academic Workplace and the Committee on Access and Accommodation in Instruction.
5. Instead of creating an ad hoc committee on faculty accommodation for ADA as previously determined, the UC will charge the Disabilities Accommodation Advisory Committee with reviewing the UW-Madison’s policy on accommodating requests by faculty based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The UC will recommend that the Disabilities Accommodation Advisory Committee add faculty members and divisional disability representatives (DDRs) as consultants. The charge will be finalized at next week’s meeting.
6. The UC received updates from the provost.
7. The UC received an update on MOOCs and Educational Innovation from Chris Olsen, Interim Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, and Linda Jorn, Associate Vice Provost for Learning Technologies and DoIT Director of Academic Technology. The UC requested a list of EI projects funded, funding amounts, and the selection criteria.
8. Motion by Petty, second by Meyerand to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous.
9. Reconvened in open session at 3:23 p.m.
10. The WARF Resource Request and Allocations Committee (members Caroline Levine, Marsha Mailick, and Bill Sugden) requested clarification of its charge. It also requested more information about how WARF works so that it doesn’t improperly interfere with the relationship between WARF and the university. The UC will clarify the charge to the WARF committee; changes to FP&P may need to be proposed. Before charging the WARF committee, the UC will ask Mark Cook will meet with its members. The UC will appoint a chair for the WARF committee. When talking with the chancellor, the UC will remind her that the WARF committee exists, and encourage her to make use of that committee.
11. The meeting adjourned at 4:38 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty