HS-IRBs News December 2015
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 7, Number 12, December 2015
New Deadline for Changes to Human Subjects Research Regulations
As mentioned in previous Health Sciences IRBs newsletters, significant changes to the federal regulations governing human subjects research are being proposed by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The proposed changes affect a wide range of research and, if implemented, will directly impact many researchers, especially those working with biospecimens. HHS has extended the comment period on the proposed changes to January 6, 2016.
UW-Madison’s Human Research Protection Program has developed a webpage with resources about the proposed changes, including summaries of the changes and links to relevant webinars. The page also includes an online form through which researchers can send questions or comments about the proposed regulatory changes to the campus HRPP.
HS IRBs Office Closures
The HS IRBs office will be closed or have limited coverage the following days in December and early January:
- December 24th and 25th: The office will be closed in observance of the Christmas holiday. WIRB offices will also be closed.
- December 31st and January 1st: The HS IRBs office will be closed in observance of the New Year's holiday on both days. WIRB offices will be open on December 31st and closed on January 1st.
Coming Soon - Website Updates
You will begin to see enhancements to our website (https://kb.wisc.edu/hsirbs/) in the near future, including improvements to navigation and access to documents, a cleaner user interface, and updated content. We are excited for this opportunity to make our website easier to use and even more helpful. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact Marc Korobkin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned!
ARROW Tip: Using the Back Button and Save
All IRB forms in ARROW now include a back button to help with navigation. When using the back button, please keep in mind that ARROW will NOT automatically save any changes made to that page when the back button is clicked. If you make any changes to a page in a form, please remember to click save before using the back button.
- Urgent issues (e.g., subject safety concerns), please call our main line (608-263-2362) and ask to speak with the staff reviewer on call for the day. Please do NOT use email for these kinds of questions.
- General IRB questions, please call our main line (608-263-2362) to speak with the staff reviewer on call or email email@example.com. These are the quickest ways to get help with general questions.
- Specific questions regarding the status of your review and/or reviewer notes, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application.
- Help with single IRB review and reliance questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assistance with ARROW or technical questions, email email@example.com.
- Newsletter and other IRB updates, please sign up for the general HS-IRBs listserv by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consultations: For investigators seeking assistance on a specific program or application, HS-IRBs staff are available for individual consultations. To request a consultation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.
- Presentations: The HS-IRBs office is available to provide the research community with presentations and trainings on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.