Help Desk - Student Lead Technical Writer Position Description
Help Desk Support - Student Technical Writer position description
Technical Writers perform the essential service of creating, updating, and maintaining documentation in the Help Desk KnowledgeBase and related KB spaces. A Student Lead Technical Writer is responsible for day-to-day KB maintenance, as well as assisting with projects that improve our support-centered KnowledgeBase. The Help Desk KB aims to be consistent, accessible, clear, and connected.
Student Lead Technical Writers have opportunities to build and demonstrate communication skills, which are essential to any future job search. In addition to writing clear and concise documentation, Student Lead Technical Writers are expected to reach out to service providers across DoIT to learn about new processes and bring information back to the Help Desk. They will be heavily involved with strategic projects. Student Lead Technical Writers also have the opportunity to create and work on their own KB improvement projects.
You may be a good fit for the Technical Writer team if:
- You can think strategically on a macro level; seeing the “big picture” ecosystem of the KnowledgeBase.
- You enjoy detail-oriented review, complete with spreadsheets.
- You communicate well within our team, as well as develop relationships cross-departmental.
- You enjoy learning about new technologies and services.
- You are good at breaking down processes into their component steps.
- You have a good eye for writing and editing (and maybe strong opinions about the Oxford comma).
- You have ideas about how we can continue to improve the KB.
Student Lead Technical Writers serve in a leadership role at the Help Desk. They will work closely with the Help Desk KnowledgeBase administrator.
50% - Special Projects
- Work closely with the Help Desk KnowledgeBase administrator to develop and refine KnowledgeBase improvement projects.
- Work independently and collaboratively as necessary to implement and execute KnowledgeBase improvement projects.
- Communicate effectively with team members across DoIT and campus.
- Develop, monitor, and analyze our data and metrics.
45% - Help Desk KnowledgeBase Management
- Monitor the feedback that is submitted on KnowledgeBase documents. Update existing documentation and respond to customers as appropriate.
- Work with service providers and team lead to create new KnowledgeBase documents in support of DoIT services.
- Renew expiring KnowledgeBase content.
- Proofread KnowledgeBase documents for grammar, style, and user-oriented organization.
- Participate in weekly team meetings.
5% - Professional Development
- Professional development varies by individual. For example, individuals who don't know HTML may use their professional development time to learn or practice this skill.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- No technical experience is required so we encourage all interested persons to apply. Prior computer knowledge can be helpful for certain positions, however.
- Inquisitive attitude and a desire to learn new things.
- At least two semesters availability.
- Experience with:
- Website design, with an emphasis on user experience and accessibility.
- Knowledge and/or content management.
- Leading a team of peers.
- Data analytics development and tools, such as Google Analytics and Cherwell.
- Project management.
- Ability to:
- Initiate and execute beneficial projects for Help Desk productivity and involvement.
- Thrive in the Help Desk environment including a strong record of customer service plus analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Think strategically about KB documentation within a larger ecosystem.
- Review documentation with a detail-oriented eye, investigating and resolving any issues.