Faculty Senate Minutes 2012-04-09
University of Wisconsin--Madison
shared governance document
April 9, 2012
The meeting was called to order by Interim Chancellor David Ward at 3:33 p.m. with 139 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Associate Professor Emeritus James C. Allen. faculty document 2330
Professor Emerita Bettina Bjorksten-Orsech. faculty document 2331
Associate Professor Emeritus John W. Harvey. faculty document 2332
Professor Emeritus John P. Klus. faculty document 2333
Professor Emeritus Philip E. Miles Jr. faculty document 2334
2. Chancellor Ward presided over the presentation of the 2011-2012 Hilldale Awards.
The recipients are: Arts and Humanities Division: Alfred W. McCoy (History); Biological Sciences Division: Charles A. Mistretta (Medical Physics; Radiology); Physical Sciences Division: Alexander J. Nagel (Mathematics); Social Studies Division: John F. Witte (LaFollette School of Public Affairs; Political Science).
3. Announcements/Informational Items.
Professor Brad Barham encouraged faculty to vote in the faculty committee elections that were in progress. He also spoke briefly about the human resources system redesign process and the PROFS legislative update handout that was distributed at the door.
4. Question Period.
Professor James Doing (District 65) asked a question about the possibility of paying faculty on a twelve-month basis instead of a nine-month basis. Chancellor Ward will bring the answer to this question to the 7 May 2012 Faculty Senate meeting.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
5. The minutes of 5 March 2012 were approved as distributed.
6. Associate Professor Timothy Shedd submitted for informational purposes the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee Annual Reports for 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. faculty document 2335
There were no questions.
7. Professor George Philips submitted for informational purposes the Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Annual Report for 2010-2011. faculty document 2336
There were no questions.
8. Associate Professor Sara Goldrick-Rab submitted for informational purposes the Committee on Undergraduate Recruitment, Admissions and Financial Aid Annual Reports for 2008-2009, 2010-2011 and 2010-2011. faculty document 2337
There were two questions.
9. Professor Barham announced that the University Committee would not move to adopt the Resolution in Support of Course Materials as Intellectual Property. Provost DeLuca will be appointing an ad hoc committee to examine the broad issue of intellectual property, which will include the topic of course materials, and the University Committee believes it appropriate to wait until the ad hoc committee’s recommendations are received. faculty document 2328a
The meeting adjourned at 4:36 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty
« Previous: Faculty Senate Minutes 2012-03-05