Office 365 (Outlook for Mac) - Check spelling and grammar
In Outlook 2016 for Windows, there is an option to always check spelling before sending an e-mail message. Outlook 2016 for Mac does not have this option; instead it checks for spelling errors as you type. Outlook uses a dashed, red underline to indicate possible spelling errors. You can also check spelling at any time by using the Spelling button.
Check spelling automatically as you type:
By default, Outlook checks for spelling errors as you type. Outlook uses a dashed, red underline to indicate possible spelling errors.
- When you see a word with a dashed, red underline, hold down CONTROL , and then click the word.
- On the shortcut menu, do one of the following:
TO: DO THIS: Choose from a list of suggested corrections Click one of the guesses at the top of the shortcut menu. Remove the dashed, red underline for one of instance of a word Click Ignore Spelling. To add a word to the spelling dictionary Click Learn Spelling.
- To turn off automatic spell checking, on the Edit menu, point to Spelling and Grammar, and then clear the check mark next to Check Spelling While Typing.
Correct spelling automatically
If you want, Outlook can automatically correct some commonly misspelled words. For example, if you type freind, Outlook changes it to friend.
Note:This feature is available only with Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later.
- On the Edit menu, point to Spelling and Grammar, and then click Correct Spelling Automatically.
Check grammar with spelling
Outlook can check for grammatical errors as you type. Outlook uses a dashed, green underline to indicate possible grammatical errors.
- On the Edit menu, point to Spelling and Grammar, and then click Check Grammar With Spelling.
Correct spelling and grammar all at once
You can correct all the spelling and grammar issues at the same time after you finish composing a message or other items (items: Units of information in Outlook, such as e-mail messages, calendar events, contacts, tasks, and notes.).
- On the Edit menu, point to Spelling and Grammar, and then click Show Spelling and Grammar.
- Do any of the following:
TO: DO THIS: Turn on grammar checking Select the Check grammar check box. Correct a misspelled word In the list of suggestions, click the word that you want to use, and then click Change. Ignore this word and move on to the next misspelled word Click Ignore. Add a word to the spelling dictionary Click Learn.