Office 365 - Requesting a departmental email address/account/domain
There are times when you need to use an address/account that is not tied to a personal (NetID) account.
Here is listing of address/account types:
- Service Accounts
Learn more about these address/account types.
Important: Only domain administrators can manage these types of accounts.
Options for obtaining these accounts:
Request account from your departmental IT administrator. If your department has a departmental Office 365 domain such as "@doit.wisc.edu", contact your domain administrator to request a new account or address. If you are unsure whether your department has an Office 365 domain, or who your domain administrator is, contact the DoIT Help Desk to find out.
Provide your domain administrator with the following information:
Login ID this is the unique identifier for the account ( * must be unique within your domain) - it will be the text that appears on the left hand side of the @ sign within the email address First Name any first name (this will appear within Global Address List) Last Name any last name (this will appear within Global Address List) Description Provide details for use of this account. Linked NetID(s) These NetIDs will be granted Full Mailbox and Send As permissions over the service account, can access the account in Google Apps, and more. Learn more. Administrative Administrator NetID(s) These NetIDs will be granted administrative rights over the service account within Wisc Account Administration site. Learn more.
Request an @mailplus.wisc.edu account. If your department does not have an Office 365 domain, you may request accounts in the generic "@mailplus.wisc.edu" domain. Important: only faculty/staff are allowed to make this request - Emeriti/alumni cannot make this request. Follow these instructions to request a mailplus.wisc.edu Service Account, Alternate Address or Resource.
Request a custom/vanity @wisc.edu alternate address. In some cases, it is possible to obtain a departmental address of the form "@wisc.edu" as an Alternate Address tied to a Service Account. See this document for requirements on these custom @wisc.edu addresses or to submit a request.
Request a new domain to create accounts in. In some situations, none of the above options are satisfactory. If you decide to submit a new domain request, it will require approval from the leadership of UW-Madison's Office 365 Team.
Requesting a new email domain:
Student organizations who would like an email domain should contact the help desk for further assistance - do not submit your request through the process below.
Some reasons to not request a new email domain:
- If you are looking for a website, do not use these steps and instead, go to the following article: https://it.wisc.edu/services/web-hosting/.
- All requests for new email domains in Office 365 are subject to review and approval by the leadership of UW-Madison's Office 365 Team.
- Unlike accounts within the mailplus.wisc.edu domain, you will be responsible for administering all of the accounts within your domain.
- Microsoft has a limit on the number of sub-domains created within the wisc.edu environment.
- The more sub-domains that exist within wisc.edu, the more resources/infrastructure is required to manage it.
- To request a new domain
- Go to Wisc Account Administration Site.
- You will be presented with the request domain form:
Enter the required data (including any special request within the comments field).
- Click Request Domain button.
A mail/calendar administrator will contact you within a couple of business days.