Microsoft 365 - Thunderbird - Exporting Local Mail
This document will provide step-by-step instructions on how to export local mail from Thunderbird.
Important: These instructions include using a 3rd party application which is not supported by the Help Desk or UW-Madison Microsoft 365 team.
- There is no native export function for local mail in Thunderbird, however, the software "Aid4Mail" offers many export options, including converting local mail to a .PST file. It can be acquired from http://www.aid4mail.com/.
- Please note that a one-year license of Aid4Mail costs $59.95/year for use with Enterprise email; however, for one-time use, a trial version is available: http://www.aid4mail.com/download-free-trial
- Aid4Mail only works on Windows. If you are running a different operating system use the directions below from Mozilla to backup and restore your profile to a Windows installation of Thunderbird.
- Backing up a profile
- Restoring a profile backup
- Open Aid4Mail.
- Select Mozilla Thunderbird as the mail source. Select Include mail in trash to include this data in the export. Click Next to proceed.
- Select the local folders to export. Check the box to Include subfolders. Hit Next to continue.
- Leave the Filter source messages check box blank and hit Next.
- Choose the Office Outlook PST file option and hit Next.
- Choose a save location for the file and hit Next.
- On the Export Options screen leave the default settings selected (see image below) and hit Next.
- Click Start to begin the export process.
- When mail is finished processing hit the Close button to complete the process.