L&S BA and BS Math Requirements
The following section describes the mathematics requirement for L&S undergraduate students.
Mathematics Requirements for the L&S Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science DegreesBoth the BA and BS degrees require that students satisfy minimum math competency by having completed three (3) units of math required by admission.
- A unit is equivalent to one (1) year of high school work or one (1) semester of college work.
- The three (3) units of math required for admission to UW-Madison will usually include one (1) unit each of high school algebra, geometry, and an additional unit of mathematics.
Mathematics Requirement for the L&S BA Degree
- No additional math is required beyond the completion of the university's General Education Quantitative Reasoning A and B
- See Quantitative Reasoning for more detailed information about Quantitative Reasoning Part A and Part B.
Mathematics Requirement for the L&S BS Degree
- The L&S BS degree requires an additional two (2) units at the intermediate (I) level in mathematics, computer science or statistics.
- Coursework taken at the college level to fulfill this requirement must be at least a 3-credit course and must be taken in the departments of Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics only.
- Statistics courses taught outside of the Department of Statistics (e.g., Econ 310, Geog 360, Poli Sci 218 or 551, Psych 210, Soc 359 or 360 or 361 or 362, etc.) do not count toward the L&S BS mathematics degree requirements.
Resources for Questions:
L&S Academic Advising Services: (608) 262-5858, firstname.lastname@example.org
L&S Student Academic Affairs: (608) 262-0617, email@example.com