I am a student researcher, what IRB approval do I need?

Frequently Asked Question

All UW-Madison undergraduate and graduate students engaged in any kind of research project (including independent study, research credits, senior thesis projects, Hilldale Awards, Master's thesis, doctoral dissertation, etc) involving human participants must obtain approval of a campus IRB before beginning the research.  The IRB application should list the student advisor or faculty mentor as the principal investigator.

Student projects conducted within an academic course where data is gathered without the intention of dissemination beyond the instructor and students of the course do not require IRB approval.  These projects should be conducted with consideration to the University's ethical and legal responsibility to protect individuals.

For more information, see the below document.
HRPP: Student Research

Keywords:FAQ, student research, course assignment, student projects undergraduate   Doc ID:22222
Owner:Monica E.Group:Health Sciences IRBs
Created:2012-01-12 13:28 CSTUpdated:2017-01-30 10:14 CST
Sites:Health Sciences IRBs
Feedback:  1   0