LastPass - What are the limitations for LastPass users with NetID login?
There are feature limitations that apply to UW-Madison LastPass users whose accounts are configured for NetID login.
- Using the LastPass browser extension: Chrome/Firefox/Edge/Safari/IE/Opera
- Using the online web vault (LastPass website) on desktop web browsers as long as the LastPass browser extension is installed
- Using the LastPass desktop applications: LastPass for Windows Desktop, LastPass for macOS
- Using the LastPass Password Manager mobile apps: Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad)
- Android Wearables/Apple Watch
- If the LastPass desktop applications or the LastPass Password Manager mobile apps are managed via third-party (Non-Intune) MDM solutions
- Using the online web vault on mobile web browsers
- Using the online web vault (LastPass website) without the LastPass extension installed
- No Offline access – The client side (web browser extension) must remain online in order to obtain the user's encryption key and unlock the user's LastPass vault. For this reason, offline login is not available.
- No One-Time Password – This feature is not available as the master password comes from the user's NetID.
- Only Service Provider single sign-on (SSO) is supported – This means that you must always begin the login process from a LastPass component (e.g., web browser extension, mobile app, or desktop app) in order to be redirected to the NetID sign in page. Logging in via the LastPass website at https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 is not supported for federated users.
- About Linked Personal Accounts – Linked personal accounts must be verified on every new device (desktop or mobile) that a federated login user will use to log in to LastPass. This verification process must be done from every browser, desktop app, and/or mobile app that will be used for federated login on the new device(s).
Please note that if a user's status changes from federated to non-federated (for example, due to a master password reset), the limitations listed above will be lifted but the user will still be required to adhere to UW-Madison policies that have been applied to their LastPass account. However, you can convert back to a NetID login again without the risk of data loss.