Atlassian Cloud Licensing Steps and Resources
Helpful steps for groups who want to purchase their own Atlassian Cloud instance.
- Contact Purchasing: Review Atlassian’s terms & conditions and confirm they are acceptable before requesting a trial. If not, consider alternatives to Atlassian. Note: Atlassian products can be purchased and quoted through SHI.
- Risk Assessment: Reach out to UW-Madison Cybersecurity or UW System Cybersecurity and request a risk assessment.
- Trial: Sign up for the cloud trial accounts (e.g. Jira software and Jira Service Management) using the one cloud URL: Atlassian Try. Groups with existing Atlassian server licenses can claim a free cloud trial account.
- It is easy to select Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Confluence.
- If a custom suite of applications is needed Contact Atlassian support.
- Use a URL that is specific to your group.
- Confirm: Estimate the cost of the services and plugins needed - cloud calculator.
- 50% discount for education
- Atlassian Access is free for education
- Atlassian offers an Academic Discount but it’s not available through their quote creation system. First create a quote, then contact Atlassian and ask for a revised quote with the discount applied. Or, work with purchasing and request quotes from SHI.
- Evaluate: Does the trial meet your needs? If so, accept the level of risk and move forward with purchasing and setting things up. Note: Do not use a trial account for production data. If a trial account is not purchased in time the data is deleted.
- If needed: Watch a few webinars
- Reference the Server to Cloud Migration Guide
- Contact Atlassian support for recommendations
Note: There are specific steps for setting up authentication.
UW-Madison Atlassian Contacts
Campus Atlassian Contact
Enterprise Advocate - State & Local Government
Desk: (512) 561-1231
If needed, email firstname.lastname@example.org and the appropriate Government team member will reach out