Templates you can use to develop your hybrid/blended course
A large part of course development is the way in which activities will be organized and presented to students. Unfortunately, Canvas courses do not come with any templates or structures that help with this process. Optional templates have been created for instructors to utilize in their course. The following items are included:
- Homepage Options;
- Course Orientation Module;
- Module Concept #1;
- Module Concept #2;
- Assignments with rubrics with different levels of criteria and points;
- Discussion examples;
- How to be Successful in an Online Course quiz; and
- Midterm Feedback Survey.
You can download and import the template course directly into any Canvas course. Select the specific content you want or import all the content and delete what you do not want once it is in your course.
Importing templates into Canvas
To employ these templates within your course, you will need to download them to your computer and upload them into your Canvas course.
- Go to the Canvas Templates Knowledge Base page (https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=83075).
- Download this compressed file (Canvas_Templates_20181002.imscc) to your computer.
- Open your Canvas course (into which you wish to import these templates).
- Select Settings.
- Select Import Course Content (button to the right).
- From the Content Type drop-down box, select Canvas Course Export Package.
- Use the [Course file] button to locate and select the .imscc ZIP folder referenced in Step 2.
- To import all the template content, select All content, then, Import, or
- To import only certain components, select Select specific content, then, Import, then a red Select Content button appears. Use that button to select specific items to import.
Using templates within Canvas
After importing the templates, go to Modules. Find the module titled, Using the templates. The templates provide a starting point for your course development in Canvas. You’ll need to customize each of the templates to meet your needs. Below are a few important considerations.
- All of the content in the templates needs to be reviewed and edited by you. The content highlighted in blue provides instructional design suggestions.
- All of the content and activities are currently published, meaning you can review them from the student's perspective because they will be visible to students without further action. For anything you do not wish to use, you will need to unpublish content in order to ensure it is not visible to students.
CANVAS TEMPLATES KNOWLEDGE BASE – https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=83075
PREVIEW TEMPLATES IN CANVAS – https://canvas.wisc.edu/courses/123664