Diploma and Degree Information
The following section address the L&S undergraduate diploma.
A UW–Madison undergraduate diploma lists only the degree title. Diplomas do not list major(s) or certificate(s) students complete as undergraduates. Major and certificate information is located on a student's official UW–Madison transcript. For additional information, see graduation, commencement, and conferral date.
· If a student is completing a bachelor of science degree with majors in history and economics, the degree on the student's diploma will be Bachelor of Science.
· If a student is completing a bachelor of arts degree, majoring in psychology and journalism, the degree on the student's diploma will be Bachelor of Arts–Journalism.
The following information will appear on an L&S undergraduate student's diploma:
· Degree Title (e.g., Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, etc.)
· Degree Conferral Date (e.g., May 14, 2022 for spring 2022 graduates)
· Honors in the Liberal Arts (if a student declares and successfully completes the requirements)
· Honors in the Major (if a student declares and successfully completes the requirements)
· Comprehensive Honors (if a student declares and successfully completes the requirements)
The College of Letters & Science offers the following degrees which will appear on an L&S undergraduate student's diploma:
· Bachelor of Arts
· Bachelor of Science
· Bachelor of Landscape Architecture*
· Bachelor of Music*
· Bachelor of Arts–Journalism*
· Bachelor of Science–Journalism*
· Bachelor of Social Work*
· Bachelor of Science–Applied Mathematics, Engineering and Physics*
*These specialized degree programs have requirements for completion distinct from the L&S BA/BS requirements. Students who complete these requirements are awarded these degrees in lieu of the general Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. More L&S degree information is available at Degrees/Majors/Certificate.
**Students pursuing the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) special degree in L&S cannot do additional majors at this time. They can only add on certificates. For example, a student doing the BLA can add on the Environmental Studies certificate but cannot add on the Environmental Studies major.
Please note that all L&S undergraduate students are expected to graduate as soon as they have completed all of their major and degree requirements. Thus, students are expected to select their appropriate expected graduation term (EGT). L&S will graduate any undergraduate if the College discovers that a student has completed all of their major and degree requirements but has not specified a specific EGT in their Student Center. Graduation is usually based on the last term a student was enrolled and completed all of their requirements. For additional information about degree conferment, see conferral of degrees under graduating.