DoIT Shared Tools - GitLab - Resources for Migrating to git.doit.wisc.edu
There are many ways groups can migrate from one GitLab instance to another. The following are a few options to consider.
- Import/Export: The GitLab UI and API both provide methods to export Projects and Groups from one GitLab instance and import them into another, provided the instances are similar in version.
- Importing Projects from a Repository by URL: A strategy for importing an individual project to your existing repositories by simply providing the Git URL.
- Import Multiple Repositories by Uploading a Manifest File: As long as git.doit.wisc.edu can access the repositories, put together a list of all the groups and projects and import them in bulk using a manifest file.
- Importing and Exporting Using GitLab's Built-in Tool: Existing groups or projects running on any GitLab instance or GitLab.com can be exported and moved to a new GitLab instance.
Note: Test the process and check for GitLab version compatibility.
- Repository Mirroring: Repository mirroring allows for the mirroring of repositories to and from external sources.