Zoom (Canvas Integration) - Overview [UW-Madison]
This document outlines resources for instructors on how to get started with the Canvas-Zoom integration at UW-Madison.
Select this link to list all Zoom documents from the Learn@UW-Madison Knowledgebase at the bottom of this page.
Zoom is an enterprise cloud platform for video, voice, online meetings, screen sharing, chat, and webinars. This enterprise web conferencing and distance learning application runs across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. This document focuses on Zoom and its integration with the Canvas Learning Management System. For information on how to access Zoom outside of Canvas, see UW-Madison Zoom - Getting started
For a comparison of your web conferencing options on campus, including Zoom, please see Help Desk - Which video conferencing or webinar tool should I use? Google Meet, Cisco Webex , Microsoft Teams, Zoom.
Zoom and Canvas
The Canvas-Zoom integration allows Zoom to recognize the participants and loosely maps their roles in Canvas to the Zoom session (Instructor = Moderator, Student = Participant). Any recordings made using a Zoom Room associated with your Canvas Course will also show up in the integration for instructors and students.
Scheduling a Meeting Through the Zoom/Canvas integration
- Click on Zoom in your course Navigation Bar
- Click on the blue “Schedule a Meeting” button in the top right corner
- Fill out the date, time and length you want the meeting to last.
- Adjust the settings to your desired specifications. (For more information on what the each of the Settings does, please see Zoom - Meeting and Recording Settings for instructors [UW-Madison]. Please note that you can only adjust some Settings through the Zoom/Canvas integration. If you want to adjust all possible settings you will have to create the Zoom Meeting through the Web Portal; see UW-Madison Zoom - Getting started.)
- At the bottom of the page make sure you select “Save” to create the Meeting.
- Your meeting will now show up when anyone in the course goes to the Zoom/Canvas front page.
Zoom offers several options for breakout rooms. For more information, please see Using Breakout Groups To Increase Student Engagement.
Support and training
Learn@UW-Madison provides training sessions for instructors using Zoom in Canvas. You can see Training and Events on the DoIT AT website for future training sessions, or view a previously recorded session here. For self-help resources, please reference the Learn@UW-Madison or Zoom KnowledgeBase sites.
Zoom frequently provides webinar trainings, including some focused specifically on teaching and learning. For a list of these resources, please go here.
Canvas Tech ModulesThese modules, developed by DoIT Academic Technology's Learn@UW-Madison team, are designed to help instructors introduce centrally supported learning technologies to their students. For more information, see Canvas - Student Tech Modules in Canvas Commons [UW-Madison]
SupportIf you have any technical questions or problems with Zoom or its integration with Canvas, please contact the DoIT Help Desk.
System requirements and supported browsers
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- macOS: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
Complete System requirements for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Client feature comparison
Launching Zoom from a web browser
System requirements for Windows, macOS, and Linux