Connecting Remotely to CAE Linux Machines from Windows (MobaXterm)
How to use the MobaXterm VNC client to access CAE Linux machines
1. Download and install MobaXterm Free version here: https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download.html Both the Installer and Portable versions seem to work
2. Open MobaXterm
3. Click on "Session" in the top left corner or the window
4. Select a VNC session
5. This will open the VNC window. Click on the "Advanced VNC Settings" Tab. Then check the box for "Use new embedded VNC engine" (make sure it's selected).
6. Now select the "Network settings" tab, then click the "SSH gateway" button.
7. Enter "best-tux.cae.wisc.edu" in the Gateway host field, and your CAE Username in the Username field. Leave the port as 22 and click OK
8. Enter "localhost" in the Remote hostname or IP address field, and enter port 5976. (You can change the port if you wish, please see https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/22249) Then click OK.
NOTE: The first time you connect, Windows may ask for permission to allow MobaXterm to access the network. Please allow access.
9. You will now be prompted to enter your CAE password. After you enter your password, you will be asked if you wish to save it. We recommend clicking "No"
10. After you enter your password, MobaXterm should open a new tab, allowing you to log into a CAE Linux box the same way you would in the CAE labs.
11. After you are finished, you can log off as you would on a normal CAE Linux machine, or by selecting "Disconnect" from the buttons at the top of the connection tab.
12. The next time you wish to connect, you should be able to re-launch the session in MobaXterm by double clicking "localhost" in the menu on the left side of the screen.
This should result in the same screen you get in step 10.