Topics Map > IT Services > Training
Topics Map > IT Services > Software Support
iMovie - Organizing Events and Clips
This article describes how to organize events and sort usable from unusable footage.
It is possible to organize, merge, and split events in order to streamline the process of creating videos in iMovie. Additionally, rating clips provides an easy way to sort usable footage from unusuable footage.
Splitting and Merging Events
When clips are first imported, the user must choose between adding clips to an old event or creating a new event. Later, if events need to be split up, these instructions should be followed:
- Create additional event(s) by right-clicking iMovie Library and choose New Event.
- Click the event to be split in the Library Pane.
- Click and drag clips from the Browser into the desired events in the Library Pane.
To merge events:
- Click the event to be merged in the Library Pane.
- Click and drag media from that event into another event.
- Right click the empty event and choose Delete when finished.
In order to organize clips within an event, go to View > Sort Clips By and choose either date, name, or duration. Additionally, events can be sorted in ascending or descending order based on the selection.
To mark a clip as important or not useful, select a clip or portion of a clip in the Browser and right click it. Choosing Favorite will highlight the clip. Choosing Reject will mark the clip as rejected.
Additionally, within the Browser, there is an option at the top to either Hide Rejected or Show All in order to hide or show clips that have been rejected.
Clips can be deleted by right-clicking them in the Browser and choosing Delete Media from Event. This can be undone as long as iMovie is still open, and they go directly into the system Trash.