Topics Map > IT Services > Training
Topics Map > IT Services > Software Support
Adobe Photoshop - Blend Modes
This guide will show you how to add blend modes to an image and how to discern which blend modes apply to which neutral tones.
Blend Modes can be used to combine two images or more in a nonlinear way. They are great for making more artistic combinations of images than using a gradient filter or a layer mask. These options are nondestructive.
To apply a Blend Mode:
- Select the layer to which the blend mode should be applied, by clicking on it in the Layers panel.
- Select the dropdown next to the word Normal.
- The list of Blend Modes is separated by the way they function:
- Darken, Multiply, Color Burn, Linear Burn, and Darker Color all blend the Darkest colors in a image, White disappears.
- Lighten, Screen, Color Dodge, Linear Dodge, and Lighter Color all blend the Lightest colors in an image, Black disappears.
- Overlay, Soft Light, Hard Light, Vivid Light, Linear Light, Pin Light, and Hard Mix all split the colors in an image, Neutral Grey disappears.
- The other blend modes do miscellaneous things, like inversing and blending, or taking the greyscale of one image and applying it to colors of the other.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org