Student Employee Account - FAQ
This document explains what a student employee account is used for, how to request a student employee account, how to request changes to an existing student employee account, and how to renew an expired student employee account.
Why do we use student employee accounts?
Currently, students are restricted to using lab computers. Lab computers have special restrictions that prevent students from making changes and allow for greater monitoring of malicious activity. These precautions are not enabled on staff and faculty computers. When students are hired on campus, they need a way to use staff computers. Job accounts are assigned on a per-student basis.
It is the responsibility of the supervisor to ensure that the accounts are not shared and to keep records of who is assigned to what job account.
How do I request a student employee account?
- Contact the IT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-424-3020
- Provide the following information:
- The name and NetID of the student employee
- The names of the computers the student will be using (i.e. UWO1234)
- Who to list as the manager/supervisor of the student employee
- This will be the staff(s) who can request changes to the account
How do I request changes to an existing student employee account?
- Changes must be requested by the supervisor of the student employee
- Requests can be made by contacting the IT Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or at Dempsey 207
- For security purposes, password resets cannot be done through an email request
- Go to AMS
- Search for the job account user name
- Look under the NetID area > under notes it will list the supervisor(s) of the account
- ID check the supervisor through TitanAdmin
Changes that may be requested include:
- Password resets
- Unlocking of accounts
- Change of account supervisors
- Addition/Modifications to computers the account can log into
- Please provide specific computer names (i.e. UWO1100)
- Requesting, granting, or removing S-Drive access (the manager of the S drive folder must approve this request)
- Deactivation of accounts
How do I renew a student employee account?
- Job accounts expire on December 31st of every year
- This allows us to deactivate those accounts that are no longer being used
- In December supervisors will receive an e-mail listing which job accounts they are the supervisors of.
- It is the responsibility of the supervisor to contact the Help Desk to get their job accounts extended or re-enabled.
- Contact the Help Desk via phone or e-mail with the following information:
- Name(s) of the account(s) they need renewed
- The Help Desk will create a ticket for the request
If the supervisor would no longer like the student employee account(s) they manage to remain active, they may either choose to ignore the message or to contact the Help Desk and let them know they would not like the account(s) renewed.
If the supervisor would like to renew certain accounts while letting others get deactivated, they must be sure to tell the Help Desk which accounts they'd like to keep active.
What if the Student Employee Accounts I Manage Get Disabled, but I Still Need Them?
- Contact the Help Desk and let them know which account(s) need to be reactivated.
- The Help Desk will create a ticket for account re-activation
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or email@example.com