Topics Map > IT Services > Training
Find UWOID, Asset Tag, Serial Number, Service Tag, or Computer Name
This document shows how to find your computer name on Windows or Mac.
In order to receive assistance quickly on computer issues, it is important to provide your UWOID/asset tag number, serial number/service tag number, or computer name when contacting support.
Serial Number or Service Tag Number
Every computer on campus has a serial number or service tag number. These are usually between 7 and 12 alphanumeric characters/
- Dell Desktop: service tag numbers are usually on the top or side of the desktop. They are 7 characters long
- Dell Laptop: service tag numbers are on the bottom in the middle, newer laptops use the abbreviation ST for service tag.
- HP Desktop Mini: serial numbers are on the bottom in the middle
- HP Desktop (not mini): serial numbers are on the top near the back
- HP Laptop: serial numbers are on the bottom or, if the laptop has a removable case, underneath the battery
- Apple iMac: serial numbers are on the bottom of the stand
- Apple Laptop: serial numbers are on the bottom near the hinge for the display
To find your computer name on Windows 10 from the login screen:
- In the username field type .\
- The computer name is below the password where it says Sign in to:
To find your computer name while logged into Windows 10:
- Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click System.
- Click About.
- The menu will say "Device Name:" and the name of your computer.
To find your computer name on Mac from the login screen (not the lock screen) click the time once. the computer name should pop up next to the battery information.
To find your computer name on Mac while signed in:
- Open System Preferences.
- Click Sharing.
- The menu will say "Computer Name:" and the name of your computer.
Asset Tag or UWOID
Many computers on campus have a silver and gold sticker with a 4 digit number this is the asset tag.
If you need further assistance please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at 920-424-3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org