OneDrive - Transferring Ownership of Files
Instructions on transferring ownership of OneDrive files to different university account
Transferring ownership of folders in OneDrive involves adding a co-owner to the folder you wish to transfer, having that co-owner transfer the folder’s contents to a new location in their own OneDrive account, and then having the co-owner recreate any sharing permissions on that folder.
To Transfer Ownership in OneDrive:
- Open a web browser and navigate to your OneDrive file library.
- Right-click the name of the folder you wish to transfer.
- Click Details.
- Click the Manage Access link in the window that appears on the right.
- Click Grant Access.
- In Enter names or email addresses… field, search for the person to whom you want to assign permissions, then click on their name to select it.
- Leave the setting Can Edit.
- Optional: Enter a personal message explaining why you are sharing the folder.
- Click the + for Direct Access.
- The new editor will now see the folder in their own OneDrive file library under the Shared tab on the left-hand menu.
- Ask the new editor to download the contents of your folder and transfer those contents to a new folder that they create within their own OneDrive account.
- If you still need access to these files, ask the new editor to share their new folder with the same people who had access to your folder.