University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-09-22
approved September 29, 2014
September 22, 2014
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 1:01 PM.
2. Update on best-practices workshop for Divisional Committees. Worthwhile and will consider doing again in late spring after elections.
3. Update on complaint investigator position and public interviews. Discussion of how this relates to proposed civility language.
4. Discussion of revisions to civility language.
5. Discussion of request from Recreational Sports. RS provides valuable service to campus but unclear why (or how) a chapter 6 committee could have fewer faculty. Committee co-chairs will be invited to discuss committee composition, faculty stake, and shared space agreements.
6. Edwards moved and Meyerand 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed 1:38 PM.
7. Petty moved and Wendt 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 2:04 PM.
8. D2P (Mark Cook and John Biondi; Handouts “Igniter Applications Analysis” and “D2P Igniter Process”): History and context of program. Discussion of applications; 15 projects funded in first round from 172 applications. Overarching goal is to fund applicants that add value to the university or benefit the state. Copyright is a future area for discussion and development.
9. Broman left 2:12 PM.
10. Call to Active Duty (Argyle Wade, John Bechtol, Joe Rasmussen)
Update on policy and process for services and options to active duty students. UC suggested development of policy for (graduate) enrollments. Consensus that this policy provides greater clarity.
11. Wendt moved and Edwards 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 3:03 PM.
12. Petty moved and Wendt 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 3:33 PM.
13. Broman returned: 3:25 PM.
14. Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs (Ray Taffora)
a. Update on major issues that will be active this year
i. Admissions in light of Fisher v UT and earlier cases on race and admissions.
ii. Academic health center and UW health integration.
1. Campus-wide compliance system and coordination2. NCAA and Big10 recommended changes and cases.
b. Discussion of new civility language.
15. Minutes of the meeting of September 15, 2014, approved.
16. Charge to compensation committee on parental leave (Wendt) will go out to Commission on Faculty Compensation and Benefits.
17. Supervisory issues update (Edwards).
18. Department-like entities discussion (Broman). Immediate concern: How does cluster hire process affect units? Longer-term issue: What do governance structures mean for the long-term flexibility of the institution?
19. Meeting adjourned: 4:35PM.