WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Save a Page or Post as Draft
Saving your pages or posts as drafts allows you to edit without making or leaving them visible to the public. This is also an opportunity to continue working on content before making it visible.
In this document:
- Purpose and use
- Saving a new page or post as draft
- Updating published content to draft status
- Important notes
A draft is the starting point of any content that you are creating for your audience to view. Having an item in a draft status means that it is currently being worked on and isn't yet ready for your site visitors to consume.
To save a page or post as a draft so that it is not yet live for your audience to consume, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the content area that you want to create the item in and click Add New.
- Add and edit your content as you see fit.
- Once you are ready, click the Save Draft button in the Publish section in the upper right section of your new content item.
You can now come back to this page or post to edit it as you see fit. Once you are ready to make it live for your audience to see, click the Publish button. For more information on creating pages, please see WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Creating a Page.
To save a currently published page as draft, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the page you'd like to update.
- Make any desired changes to the page content.
- Locate the Publish box in the top right corner of the page
- Select Edit from the page "Status:" field
- From the drop down, choose Draft and click the OK button
- Click the blue Update button
- Pages that are set as draft are not available for your audience to see.
- Please note that saving as draft will remove the page from public viewing and the link will no longer be shareable with non-editors of the site. Editors must be logged in in order to view the live URL of a draft page. Draft pages that were previously published and available in navigation menus will be removed from the menus until the page is re-published.
- If you would like to show a draft page to someone, they will need to be an editor or administrator in the project. To add them, follow these instructions: Adding New Users to a WiscWeb Project