Request Short-term Staffing in L&S
This document contains the request form for short-term staffing (STS) along with detailed instructions and deadlines.
Documents & Deadlines
- Short-term Staff Request form
- 2021-22 academic year: March 5, 2021
- Ad hoc requests are reviewed on a rolling basis, but departments must be mindful of any deadlines communicated by L&S Human Resources & Payroll.
- Email your request to Amanda Mahr (backup: Laura Fisk).
- Approvals will be communicated via email and Box (STS subfolder "48-##00 STS").
Background: Short-term Staffing
Each January, L&S begins the short-term staffing exercise for the upcoming academic year, with requests due in early March. Departments are encouraged to submit their requests for the entire academic year at this time.
'STS' may refer to several titles, including Associate Lecturer, Lecturer (SA), Faculty Associate, Visiting Faculty, L/I faculty, Emeritus Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, and temporary increases to renewable instructional staff.
Short-Term Staffing positions require approval through this process, regardless of the funding source. This is necessary because STS plans will be reviewed as a part of a department’s overall instructional strategy and for technical reasons (e.g., percentage of appointment, title).
Short-term Staffing Request form
1. Complete the information on the ‘Dept Details’ worksheet.
- Department Details
- Department name
- Name of requestors
- Date prepared
- Position(s). Add one row per short-term staffing position.
- List details specific to the instructor's course. If there are multiple sections of a course, list the enrollment and number of TAs for the STS-taught section only.
- credit range
- expected enrollment
- # of TAs supervised (headcount)
- instruction mode
- Sem 1: Fall 2021
- Sem 2: Spring 2022
- Academic year = 2021-22
- Other: If selecting 'other', add details on the 'Notes' page.
- Select the funding source (e.g., STS 101 or 131 profit).
- This is a dropdown field that pulls from the 'Funding' table below. Add or update funding sources in that table as necessary.
- Proposed STS Title
- Select the anticipated title (e.g., Lecturer or Lecturer (SA).
- This is a dropdown field that pulls from the 'STS Titles & Rates' table at the bottom of the form. Add or update titles and rates in that table as necessary.
- Appointment percentage
- Expected appointment level; additional guidance is below.
- Estimated salary
- The spreadsheet will calculate C-Basis/nine-month salaries based on Title, Timeframe and Appt % fields.
- The ‘Est. Salary’ column is not locked against editing. It will need to be updated manually for A-Basis/12-month appointments, or ‘Other’ timeframes.
- To calculate gross salary, use the campus 'Funding Layout Assistance Tool' (FLOAT), available on OHR's Payroll Toolkit.
- Standard salary rates for short-term staff in L&S are listed on the Gateway.
2. (Optional) Add additional information on the ‘Notes’ worksheet.
This page can be used to explain the background of the position or other information as needed.3. Summary – Funding
. This page is informational only, and will display estimated salary costs by funding source. This page is dependent on the values listed on the ‘Dept Details’ worksheet.4. Calculations
. This page is informational only, and displays the spreadsheet's automated salary calculations.
STS Appointment Levels
The general expectation for a three-credit course lecturer assignment with 50 or fewer students is a 33.4% appointment. A four-credit course (with the fourth hour being taught by the lecturer) is generally 40%.
Appointment level requests not following these guidelines due to factors such as increased duties, significant TA supervision, a greater number of credits, or other unusual characteristics should be fully justified on the request form and will be reviewed by your Academic Associate Dean.
101 Funded STS
Funding line for most 101 funded STS and readers: 101-A48##04, where '##' is the department number from your unit's UDDS.
If your department is receiving one-time support on fund 101 from sources such as FIGs, Honors, Other Schools/Colleges, etc., these credits will be itemized on your STS budget sheet. You are strongly encouraged to review your STS budget sheet to understand the fiscal implications of your plan. Please contact Assistant Dean Mary Beth Roberts with questions regarding your STS budget sheet on the BSR.
Approvals and Next Steps
STS requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Approvals will be communicated via email and in the STS folder in Box (“48-#### STS”).
Departments/Programs may begin to work with their STS/SA HR Rep on PVLs and offer letters once they receive STS approval.
If additional positions are needed, please submit a new Short-term Staffing request.
Any changes or cancellations of approved STS positions should be communicated to via email to Amanda Mahr (backup: Laura Fisk). To change an approved position, please provide the following information:
- Brief explanation/justification of the change
- Course number & name
- Credit range
- Expected enrollment
- Number of TAs supervised (headcount)
- Instruction mode
- Funding source
Contacts for L&S Administration
- L&S Teaching & Learning Administration: Amanda Mahr, Instructional Planning Coordinator
- L&S Human Resources
- L&S Budget Office: Mary Beth Roberts, Assistant Dean