MFA-Duo - Obtaining a Passcode from the Duo Mobile App
This document describes how the Duo Mobile app can be used to generate a passcode for multi-factor authentication.
This feature is great for situations when your phone doesn't have a stable cellular data or wifi connection. This feature can even be used with your phone is in airplane mode or when you are traveling outside of the US.
- At the MFA Duo prompt, select Enter a Passcode.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your device.
- Click the UW Madison item in your app.
- A 6-digit passcode will be presented. Enter that passcode in the MFA Duo prompt to complete the login process.
- If the code doesn't work, click the refresh icon next to the code to generate a new code.
- The code below is simply an example and not to be used to login.
See accessibility & usability information
We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at
MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information.
If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.
For questions regarding how to get access to the MFA mobile app contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob
Students, to obtain a token/fob, please contact the DoIT Help Desk (608) 264-4357 or email email@example.com. Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53715 on the 2nd floor.
Faculty, Staff, and Researchers
Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.