For further information on account roles, see Canvas - Course Roles and Permissions
Account Admin Role
This is a top-level role used to manage system-wide access. It is assigned to a small number of central IT staff who are responsible for administering and supporting UW-Madison's instance of Canvas.
Sub-Account Admin Role
This is the most common account role.The Sub-Account Admin role is typically held by departmental IT staff who provide Canvas consulting and support for instructors. Other candidates for the Sub-Account Admin role may include program chairs or administrators who need access to multiple courses within their department for accreditation or other administrative purposes.
To apply for Canvas Sub-Account Admin access, fill out the Canvas Sub-Account Admin Request Form. Requests must be approved by a departmental authority and may take several weeks to process. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Other Account Roles
These roles are fairly uncommon. In most instances, they were created to address specific support needs and are affiliated with IT support groups.
- API/Service: Account role used to integrate with SIS.
- DoIT AT Support Staff: Role used by DoIT Academic Technology staff to support faculty, students, and staff.
- DoIT Help Desk 1: Role used by DoIT Help Desk Level One staff and Help Desk Level Two student employees.
- DoIT Help Desk 2: Role used by DoIT Help Desk Level Two staff.
- Sub-Account Designer: This role grants Instructional Design staff access to all courses within a sub-account, but does not allow them to change account level permissions.