Blackboard Collaborate Ultra - What to expect with large attendance events (250+ participants)
Session attendance limits are enforced to ensure a positive user experience. A total of 250 concurrent participants can attend a basic Blackboard Collaborate Ultra session at the same time. However, you are able to configure a Large Scale Session with up to 500 participants if needed. This document will provide information on doing so as well as some tips on best practices.
What happens if a user tries to join a session with over 250 participants if it hasn't been configured as a Large Scale Session?
If users attempt to join a session that is full, they will see a message that reads, "Uh oh! This session is full." and will have to try again later. The individual will not be able to join unless another exits the session.
Can the limit be increased?
This 250 participant limit can be increased to 500 concurrent attendees by creating a large event. If you need a session that is open to more than 500 participants, please review the following document to decide which web conferencing option may best suit your needs: Which should I use?.
What should I know about large events before I configure a Large Scale Session?
Important considerations regarding Collaborate Ultra large events:
- Large event sessions may not exceed 4 to 6 hours in length.
- Separate sessions are needed for each large event as recurring events are not supported.
- The name of the session must only contain alphanumeric characters.
What to expect during a large event:
How can I configure a Large Scale Session?
To create a Large Scale Session from within your Canvas course:
- After navigating to Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, click Create Session
- Name your session and change the Guest role (if needed)
- Set the Event Details:
- A large event cannot be a repeating session.
- A large event cannot be an open ended session with no end time.
- A large event must have a specified Start and End time no more than 4-6 hours apart.
- You may set an Early Entry time for the large event if desired.
- Under Session Settings, check the box for Large scale session (250+)
- You may select any settings that you desire in Session Settings section.
- You must select Allow 250+ attendees to join in order for your session to be treated as a large event.
- Please note that "Share audio," "Share video," "Post chat messages," and "Draw on whiteboard and files" will be deselected by the system upon saving the Large Scale Session.
- Click Save
Anything else I should know?
Here are some best practices for Moderators in large events when using Collaborate Ultra to help ensure the process runs smoothly:
- Let your participants join the session early. This gives new participants a chance to get familiar with the room and what they can and can't do. Join the session early yourself and practice using the tools. This also gives you time to iron out any kinks. It may require creating the room with an earlier start time to accommodate.
- Upload files and arrange the windows. The first time you share your application screen, your browser may require you to install the Desktop Sharing extension. To learn more, see Application Sharing Support for Chrome or Application Sharing Support for Firefox.
- All moderators should access the settings to configure their audio before the session begins. This can be done within the session by clicking on My Settings > Set up your camera and microphone. To learn more, click here
- Mute yourself when not speaking. Nothing is more distracting than hearing outside sounds like typing or a side conversation.
- Chat for participants is disabled by default, but can be enabled by a Moderator in the session under My Settings > Session Settings. We suggest leaving the chat off during the presentation and having designated periods of Question and Answer time where the chat is enabled to allow users to ask questions.