Kaltura - MediaSpace Video Editing Tools (UW-Madison)
This document outlines how to access and use the Video Editing Tools in Kaltura MediaSpace.
The current release of the Kaltura Video Editing Tools a relatively basic online video editing tool. Advanced editing will require installation and use of local software like Adobe Premiere. The current release of the video editing tools supports the following features:
- Clipping a media entry
- Trimming a media entry
- Creating and Editing Interactive Video Quizzes. See Kaltura - Adding questions to your videos via Interactive Video Quizzing (IVQ) for more information.
You must be the owner or co-editor of the media to use Kaltura Video Editing Tools, or create clips of media entries.
Launching the Kaltura Video Editing Tools
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on your name or the person silhouette icon in the upper right corner and click My Media:
- Option 1: Search for or scroll until you find the video you want to edit.
- Click on the media’s Edit button which looks like a pencil:
- Click the Launch Editor button:
- Option 2: Search for or scroll until you find the video you want to edit.
- Click on the video thumbnail from the My Media page.
- Select Launch Editor from the Actions drop down menu:
- The Kaltura Editor window is displayed.
Overview of Kaltura MediaSpace Video Editor Tools
- Quiz tab - Use the Quiz tool to create a Kaltura Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ). More information on how to create video quizzes is available in Kaltura - Adding questions to your videos via Interactive Video Quizzing (IVQ) .
- Editor tab - Use the editor tool to split a clip, or change the in or out point of a clip.
- Hotspots tab (coming soon) - Use the Hotspots tool to add clickable links in your video. Another KB doc on how to create hotspots will be created shortly. In the mean time you can refer to Kaltura's Video Editing Tools - Hotspot Tab guide.
- Help tab - Use the Help tool to get a click to the user manual, turn on tooltips, and see accessibility keyboard shortcuts.
- Exit - Exit the video editor and return to Kaltura MediaSpace.
- Open/close left pane: The left pane of the editor window displays media details and can be opened or closed by clicking the button.
- Basic information on the name of the media item, the creator,and the last time it was updated.
- Real Time Marker, with Quick Action and Time Code
- Split - Use to cut your segment at the selected point.
- Set In - Use to set an "in" point on your timeline.
- Set Out - Use to set cue points on your time line.
- Jump to start - Jumps the video back to the beginning. The real time marker will move to the far left.
- Play - Plays the video back. The real time marker will move along the timeline in accordance with where the video is.
- Jump to end - Jumps the video to the very end. The real time marker will move to the far right.
For detailed explanations on how to use all of the features in the Kaltura Video Editor see Kaltura's Video Editing Tools User Guide.