Wireless UWNet - Register a Device Without a Browser
This document will describe how to register a device on UWNet that does not have a browser to authenticate a NetID and password. You can also use this method to pre-register a device on UWNet before it has arrived on campus.
These instructions can be used for any device that you intend to UWNet or UWNet-Housing wireless, as well as wired connections to Aruba access points (HAPs) in UW Residence Halls.
Note: These instructions require a NetID. Guest wireless users are not able to register devices other than those with a browser.
Register a device without a browser
Locate the MAC Address of the device. For common devices, instructions can be found here: Finding the MAC and IP Address of a Device. For instructions for more specialized devices, consult the manufacturer's documentation. If the device lists multiple MAC Addresses, use the WiFi Address or Wireless Address.
Navigate a browser to access.services.wisc.edu/Device. You may be asked to authenticate with your NetID.
Select Register a New Device.
Under Device Name, enter a brief description of what kind of device you are registering. Under MAC Address, enter the MAC Address that was located in Step 1. Click Create.
The device will now show in the list of devices registered to your NetID.
"This device has already been registered" error message
If you get the following error message, the device registration was not successful. If you have previously unsuccessfully tried to register the device to UWNet or clicked UWNet on your device, there is an unauthenticated record created for your device that this tool cannot override.
To resolve, you will need to contact the DoIT Help Desk to manually register the device to the UWNet network. Be sure to have the device's MAC address available. If a UW Housing resident, locate the unique identifier of the Aruba Hospitality Access Point (HAP) box in your room.
Renewing or deleting a device
- Navigate a browser to access.services.wisc.edu/Device. You may be asked to authenticate with your NetID.
- Locate the device you would like to renew or delete. If you did not previously give the device a nickname, you will have to locate its MAC address.
- Under "Actions," select renew or delete:
- Renew: This will extend the date that the device registration expires in the UWNet database to 6 months from the current date.
- Delete: This unregisters the device and removes it from the list of devices associated with your NetID. This might be necessary for troubleshooting connection issues, or clearing all information on a device prior to selling or disposing your device.