WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Using the Publications Plugin
The Publications plugin allows you to create a list of published books and articles and display it on pages and Faculty/Staff member posts in a formatted list.
- Activating the plugin
- Accessing the Citation Style Language option
- Creating a Publication
- Displaying Publications
This plugin is not activated in WiscWeb projects by default. However, Administrators can activate it in the project by following the instructions in WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Self Service Plugin Activation / Deactivation.
Setting the Citation Style Language:
- Hover your mouse over the Publications option on the left, and choose CSL Options.
- In this screen, choose the CSL option that you'd like to apply to your site's publications listings. Make a choice by clicking into a radio button for your selection.
- Once you have made your choice, click Save.
Creating A Publication
- Click Publications in the left menu to access the full list of your publications.
- At the top of the screen, click Add New to begin adding a new publication. This is also where you can edit any existing publications if needed.
- Add a Post Title, a Publication Title (these can be the same), and choose what Type of publication that you are adding from the drop down list.
- In the Author tab, choose which order you want the authors to appear (Alphabetical or Natural Order). Using the Natural Order option, you can drag and drop the order in which the authors appear.
To add an author to this publication, click Add Author and choose whether to manually add an author or assign this publication to a Staff Member that you have created.
- In the Publishing Information tab, you can add further information about the publication including Publisher, Year Published, Page(s), additional Notes, and more. Note that not all fields below are be used by all citation styles.
Please note that the Date field can be used to add simply a year (ie. 2021), or a specific date (2021/01/01) to assist with sorting.
- In the Attachments tab, you can add external links for this publication, additional files to download in relation to this publication, and add an image for it (like a cover image for a book).
- You can also begin to "categorize" publications by using the Publications Types section in the right.
To add a new Publications Type, click the Add New Publications Type link. Add in your publication type value, and hit the Enter key.
- Put a check in the types that you want to use for this publication. These Publication Types can be used later in the shortcode by adding the parameter "publication-type=type".
Once you have entered all of the relevant information for this publication, click Publish in the upper right corner of the page to make it live.
Continue to add publications as necessary.
- On a page, you should now see a Publications Listing section (you may have to scroll down on your editing page to find this section, though it can be dragged and dropped into a different location). To activate the publications list, click the checkbox for Yes.
- Once that is clicked, you are presented with options for your publications list regarding a title for the list, what publications to show, and the sorting order for the list.
- You can also limit what fields are shown in the Publications List by clicking on the Fields to Show tab.
- Once you have set all of the values, notice the shortcode necessary to place the list in a Text Block :: [uw_publications]. Copy and paste this code into a text area to display the list. You can also add parameters to this shortcode, for example to specify multiple lists with different Publication Types, you could use the shortcode like this:
[uw_publications publication-type= "2015"] or [uw_publications publication-type= "faculty"]
To include multiple publication types, simply separate with commas:
- Be sure to Update or Publish your page to place the list. Once that is done, you can then view the page to see your list.
- If a Publication post does not appear, and you instead get a Page Not Found error, you may need to "flush your permalinks." To do this, go to Settings --> Permalinks --> scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes.