University Committee Meeting Minutes 2017-09-18

University Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes approved 09/25/2017

Approved minutes for September 18, 2017          Approved on September 25, 2017

UC members present: Amasino, Bowers, Litovsky (arrived 1:07), Ventura, Wanner (chair), Warfield
Others present: S. Smith, J. Richard, M. Felber, J. OMeara, J. Smith, H. Daniels, B. McNurlen

Chair Anja Wanner called the meeting to order at 1:01 p.m. and reminded those present that there would be a fire drill during the meeting and the Faculty of Color Reception following the meeting. Wanner also called attention to a document in Box on cybersecurity, which will be discussed at a future meeting and on which the Senate will need to act. The minutes of the meetings of  University Committee Agendas and Minutes June 2017 to present , and  University Committee Meeting Minutes 2017-09-11 , were approved, the latter with amendments. The UC discussed aspects of the October Faculty Senate agenda at various points throughout the meeting.

Jack O'Meara reported on the PROFS steering committee meeting and on planned veto requests once the state budget is passed. Terry Warfield reported that the UWS/BOR working group on chancellor hires had its second meeting and is planning to develop recommendations in time for the October 6 BOR meeting. Those recommendations will not go below the level of chancellor and may not even address the tenure issue, which could be moot because of budget provision. Working group is talking about a wide range beyond qualifications.

Warfield moved to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. The motion was seconded and passed at 1:11 p.m. The UC discussed a grievance with the griever. (This discussion was interrupted by a fire drill, continuing after the UC was cleared to re-enter the building.) Warfield moved to reconvene in open session. The motion was seconded and passed at 1:44 p.m.

Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Laurent Heller addressed several aspects of the state budget, including adjustments to the pay plan, workload reporting, and performance metrics. Even the good news, such as moving the pay plan up, comes with caveats, such as needing to reallocate more funding to cover campus portion. Heller also pointed to the still-intact provision in state legislation that UW-Madison be audited by an outside accounting firm for the next two years while still being overseen by LAB. This is a major concern as our financial controls are still in state of development and we would likely be determined not to be auditable ("disclaimed opinion," says Warfield). Next month Heller will bring copy of work on strategic planning in his area for UC comment. Heller's last prepared topic was benchmarking, which affects staff more than faculty. The Academic Benchmarking Consortium will look at staffing levels centrally and in divisions/units, and study how time is spent on which major business processes. Discussion ensued. Wanner concluded VCFA time by asking about campus Wi-Fi.

Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf received the same question about 'spotty at best' campus Wi-Fi. Mangelsdorf will try to find out more. Some discussion. Mangelsdorf congratulated Secretary Smith and Vice Provost Bernard-Donals for great job reviewing departmental PTR guidelines. Discussion.

Mangelsdorf also discussed D2L retirement, migration to Canvas, and state budget and performance metrics. Ample discussion on latter point, which is still in flux. Mangelsdorf will give UAPC report at October Senate and include a bit about credit-hour policy. Search and screen to find new director of libraries will be gearing up soon. 

Chancellor Rebecca Blank reported on the upcoming Faculty of Color Reception, the award-winning faculty reception held at Olin House, the upcoming rollout of Badger Promise, her visits to other UW campuses, transfer student numbers, and the Memorial Union grand opening. Blank discussed the state budget saga and the Senate resolution on sustainability and climate change and provided a capsule version of her comments at the Academic Leadership Summit. 

Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning Steve Cramer, accompanied by Brian McNurlen, discussed LMS retention, specifically the plan to phase out D2L after its license expires in June 2018. There will be restricted access for qualified individuals for 6 months after that, but then it will go away. Cost-risk analysis of keeping it longer is such that we cannot afford to keep it. Messaging will be focused on telling people to get materials out that they need by June. Following some discussion, UC agrees with plan. Cramer distributed and presented a handout on the e-text pilot to be conducted next spring. ASM will be voting on a similar item this week. E-text program could save students millions of dollars, greatly reducing cost to attend. Ample discussion, including on opt out, timetable, etc. UC very supportive of this.

Faculty Senator Kurt Paulsen discussed his draft Campus Climate Action Plan resolution with the UC. This has been discussed with Nelson Director Robbins and others, who were all supportive. Intent is to find out what people are already doing and nudge them forward, rather than antagonize or dictate. Thus, the plan aims to integrate with existing city and county goals and plans. UC members made several suggestions to help the resolution meet the stated goals, address key stakeholders, emphasize what has already been done, promote collaboration and shared responsibility, and so on. Paulsen will incorporate those changes and re-send for further UC review ahead of first reading at October Senate.

Warfield moved once again to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. The motion was seconded and passed at 3:39 p.m. The UC discussed final responses to two pending grievances. Ruth Litovsky moved to reconvene in open session. The motion was seconded and approved at 4:07. Wanner adjourned the meeting at 4:08 p.m.